• On July 18 the Policy Board of the Cape and Islands Regional Network to Address Homelessness will participate in the 21st Annual Bob Murray Housing for Love Walk 2013. Members of the Regional Network’s Policy Board will join the walk for the Yarmouth-Barnstable leg of the fundraiser walk on Thursday, July 18. The 103 mile walk begins today in Provincetown and ends Sunday, July 21 in Falmouth
• In January 2013, the Network launched a comprehensive web based directory of housing supports and services at http://find.bchumanservices.net
• The Network’s Client Coordination Council convenes quarterly trainings on housing topics of interest.
• The Regional Network also supports the HUD Continuum of Care (CoC) grant application and renewal project review process. The Continuum of Care is a community plan to organize and deliver housing and services to meet the specific needs of people who are homeless as they move to stable housing and maximum self-sufficiency. View a listing of Cape Cod & Islands CoC FY 12 Awards. As part of its application for HUD CoC funds, Network agencies also participate in the Annual Point in Time (PIT) Count, a one day count of people who are literally homeless. View results from the Annual Point in Time Count Jan 30 2013 with contact information on January 30, 2013 for Cape Cod & the Islands.
• The March 1, 2013 federal sequestration resulted in five percent cuts to nearly all programs within the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). With looming federal and state cuts, increasing need and shrinking resources, one of the ways providers assist people from becoming homeless is by raising prevention funds, such as those raised by the Housing for Love Walk. Prevention funds are used to help families and individuals stay in their homes and range from short term rental assistance to emergency payments for utility arrearages. Many organizations in our region participate in homelessness prevention by raising and distributing hundreds of thousands of dollars of privately raised funds. Historically, the Cape and Islands have been leaders in homelessness prevention.
• View a listing of the C&I Regional Network -Policy Board 2013.
Read more about the topics above in a recent July 2013 Press Release – Update to the Community. View a copy of the three year FINAL Regional Plan 2-29-12 that provides the framework of a regional, coordinated approach to address homelessness on Cape Cod and the Islands.