The Barnstable County Department of Human Services is proud to sponsor the upcoming 2015 Gerontology Intensive Series created by the Workforce Education Resource Center (WERC) at Cape Cod Community College.
This interdisciplinary workshop series is for service providers who currently work or would like to work with older adults. Learn a focused, practical approach to understanding, assessing, and intervening with a variety of service concerns affecting older adults and their caregivers. The series covers major topic areas in gerontology including:
- Understanding Aging – It’s Not What You Think
- How to Beat the Blues – Loss, Bereavement, and Depression
- Therapeutic Reminiscence and Life Review
- The Dementias and Resulting Behavioral Disorders
- Identifying and Serving the Victims of Elder Neglect and Mistreatment
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Aging
- Working with Families and Other Caregivers
- Medication Misuse and Error
- Coping with Chronic Illness
- End of Life Issues and Concerns
The 10-week series will be held every Wednesday from 5pm – 7:30pm at the Hyannis Center (540 Main Street) beginning April 8th and ending June 10th. Attendees may register for as few or as many workshops as they wish. Continuing Education Units (20-25) and certificate are available for those attending eight of the ten workshops. (Nurses must attend all ten workshops.)
For course descriptions and costs, please see the attached flier. To register, please call WERC at 508-362-2131 ext. 4711 or email at email@example.com.