Point in Time Count
Point in Time Count of Cape and Islands Homeless
The annual Point in Time Count of the Cape and Islands homeless is required by the Continuum of Care (CoC) Grant Program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. The Cape and Islands Regional Network on Homelessness conducts the annual Point in Time Count that counts the number of people experiencing homelessness in emergency shelters, transitional housing, on the street, in cars, abandoned buildings, and in other places not meant for human habitation. Counts are conducted annually in every community and do not count households living in motels nor those that are doubled-up and living with family and friends.
2021 Annual Point in Time Results
The Cape and Islands Regional Network on Homelessness 2021 findings from the Annual Point in Time Count, which took place on January 26, 2021, on Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket, indicate that the total number of homeless persons (adults and children, sheltered and unsheltered) on the night of the 2021 count was 343, an increase of 6 persons from last year. The availability of COVID funding and additional Emergency Solutions Grant funding this year undoubtedly contributed to the number of unsheltered persons decreasing significantly from 2020 to 2021 (from 50 to 28), with the most dramatic reduction being observed among individual unsheltered Males (from 37 to 14). Concurrently, the number of individuals staying in Emergency Shelter increased by almost the same margin (from 73 to 94). Barnstable County experienced an overall 53% decrease in unsheltered homelessness (from 32 to 15) and Dukes County experienced an overall 56% decrease in unsheltered homelessness (from 14 to 9).
- To read the full press release, open Press Release: Results of 2021 Annual Point in Time Homeless Count | April 27, 2021
- To view the results of the 2021 Point in Time Count, open 2021 Annual Point in Time Count Results
- To view the spreadsheet of results for the past ten years, open Annual Point in Time Results 2012-2021
- To view DETAILED results for the past eight years, open Annual Point in Time Results DETAIL 2014-2021
Previous Point in Time Counts
- Press Release: Results of 2020 Annual Point in Time Homeless Count | May 13, 2020
- Press Release: Results of 2019 Annual Point in Time Homeless Count | May 13, 2019
- Press Release: Results of 2018 Annual Point in Time Homeless Count | April 4, 2018
- Press Release: 2017 Point in Time Homeless Count Results | April 18, 2017
- Press Release: 2016 Point in Time Homeless Count Results | May 5, 2016
- Press Release: 2015 Annual Point in Time Count Results Virtually Unchanged from 2014 – June 2, 2015